Ensemble auditions are held during the first week of the Fall semester. Specific information about auditions/enrollment in each ensemble will be posted in mid-August.
Wind Ensemble or Concert Band
- Monday, August 28: 3:20-5:30pm – Percussion
- Monday, August 28: 5:30-9:30pm – Brass
- Tuesday, August 29: 3:30-9:00pm – Woodwinds
- By appointment with Dr. Roach (firstname.lastname@example.org) – Harp
- By appointment with Dr. Roach (email@example.com) – Piano
If wish to sign up for an audition, email Dr. Roach at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the following information in your email:
- Your first and last name
- Your TCNJ ID number
- Your Primary instrument and any additional instruments that you play
- State whether you intend to enroll in Concert Band (seating audition only), or would like to audition for Wind Ensemble (audition required to register)
- Monday, August 28th, 12:30pm-5:30pm
- Tuesday, August 29th, 2:15pm-3:30pm
- Wednesday, August 30th, 1:30pm-3:30pm
- Thursday, August 31st, 12noon-3:30pm
Information with exact times and a link to sign-up via doodle.com will be posted on the departmental website and outside the choral rehearsal room MB 027.
- You do not have to be music major to be in any of the choral ensembles.
- You must audition to be considered for the Chorale or Women’s Ensemble.
- There is no audition required for College Choir. Basic singing and music reading skills and a desire to learn and improve as a musician are required.
Sometimes, freshman music majors don’t understand that a “beginning of school” audition is expected of them. Plan to audition. All Music Performance and Music Education majors are required to participate in a large choral ensemble at least two semesters during their career at TCNJ.
What to Prepare:
Auditions for the Chorale and Women’s Ensemble:
- A simple song a cappella, such as the National Anthem, Danny Boy, Amazing Grace, etc.
- Vocalizing (scales) for range
- Rhythmic and melodic sight reading
There is no audition required for College Choir. Basic singing and music reading skills and a desire to learn and improve as a musician are required.
TCNJ Jazz Ensemble
- Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 3:30-5:00pm. Music Building 019 ( basement)
Bring your instrument(s) and be ready to play – this will be a full rehearsal with all students participating. If necessary, a formal audition will be organized for a later date.
If you are invited to the formal audition, (following the August 29 rehearsal) you will be asked to demonstrate the following:
- A prepared solo of student’s choice, 1-2 minutes. The solo should demonstrate the student’s strengths, preferably, but not mandatorily a jazz-oriented piece. Qualities to demonstrate are: accurate and controlled playing, clear and projecting sound, phrasing and interpretation appropriate to jazz music
- Sight reading- all students will be asked to sight read.
- Optionalblues improvisation in Bb or F. This is not a requirement, but players with this skill may be given preference
- Bring your instrument(s) and be ready to play – this will be a full rehearsal with all students participating. If necessary, a formal audition will be organized for a later date.Tuesday, August 25, 2015
Auditions are scheduled for Wednesday, August 30th, 2017 from 12:30 pm – 5:15 pm in Mildred and Ernest E. Mayo Concert Hall (Music Building)
- To sign up please follow the link below and enter your name and instrument at a time that works for you.
If none of the times work with your schedule or for any other questions please contact Prof. Uli Speth at email@example.com
- For the audition prepare a portion of a solo piece (concerto, sonata or study piece) that represents your playing well (i.e. if you are familiar with higher positions don’t play a piece that stays in first position). The selection has to be at least 3 minutes long.