Ensemble auditions are held during the first week of the Fall semester. Specific information about auditions/enrollment in each ensemble will be posted in mid-August.
SIGN UP FOR AN AUDITION
The TCNJ Wind Ensemble is an auditioned group. The TCNJ concert band is a non-auditioned group, however all students must complete a seating audition.
- All music majors and minors are required to audition for ensembles
- You do not have to be music major to audition for or be in either the wind ensemble or concert band.
- The purpose of auditions is to ensure that each student is placed in an appropriate ensemble that will challenge and support them while maximizing their musical development.
- Many factors are considered when determining a student’s ensemble placement. The most important is the individual student and ensuring they have a positive experience. Other factors include the needs of the student, their technical ability, and the needs of the ensemble.
Audition Dates and Times
- Percussion: Monday, August 26 from 3:30-5:50pm in MB 19
- Brass: Monday, August 26 from 5:30-9:30pm in MB 19
- Woodwinds: Tuesday, August 27 from 3:30 – 9:00pm in MB 106
- Harp, Piano, and String Bass: By appointment with Dr. Laprade
- Auditions are 8 minutes in length
- Two separate works of varying style (for example: one fast and technical excerpt and one slow and expressive lyric). Each excerpt should be approximately two minutes in length.
- A chromatic scale demonstrating the range of the instrument.
- Sight reading
- Percussion: a snare drum etude, timpani etude, and two-mallet xylophone excerpt
If you have any questions about auditions, please contact Dr. Laprade at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Auditions for the fall semester 2019 will be on Monday-Wednesday, August 26-28 in Music Building 027.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP FOR AN AUDITION
- You do not have to be music major to be in any of the choral ensembles.
- You must audition to be considered for the Chorale or Collegium Musicum.
- There is no audition required for College Choir. Basic singing and music reading skills and a desire to learn and improve as a musician are required.
All Freshman Music Majors should plan to audition. All Music Performance and Music Education majors are required to participate in a large choral ensemble at least two semesters during their career at TCNJ.
What to Prepare:
Auditions for the Chorale and Collegium Musicum:
Please arrive 5 minutes early to fill-out an audition form.For further information, please contact Dr. John Leonard, TCNJ Director of Choral Activities
- A simple song a cappella, such as the National Anthem, Danny Boy, Amazing Grace, etc.
- Vocalizing (scales) for range
- Rhythmic and melodic sight reading
TCNJ Jazz Ensemble
- Tuesday, August 27, 2019, 3:30-5:00pm. Music Building 019 ( basement)
Bring your instrument(s) and be ready to play – this will be a full rehearsal with all students participating. If necessary, a formal audition will be organized for a later date.
If you are invited to the formal audition, (following the August 27 rehearsal) you will be asked to demonstrate the following:
- A prepared solo of student’s choice, 1-2 minutes. The solo should demonstrate the student’s strengths, preferably, but not mandatorily a jazz-oriented piece. Qualities to demonstrate are: accurate and controlled playing, clear and projecting sound, phrasing and interpretation appropriate to jazz music
- Sight reading- all students will be asked to sight read.
- Optional blues improvisation in Bb or F. This is not a requirement, but players with this skill may be given preference
- Bring your instrument(s) and be ready to play – this will be a full rehearsal with all students participating. If necessary, a formal audition will be organized for a later date.
Email the director, Professor Fienberg, with questions
Auditions are scheduled for Tuesday August 27, 2019 from 8:30 am – 7:30 pm in room 123 (Music Building)
- To sign up please follow the link below and enter your name and instrument at a time that works for you.
If none of the times work with your schedule or for any other questions please contact Prof. Uli Speth at email@example.com
- For the audition prepare a portion of a solo piece (concerto, sonata or study piece) that represents your playing well (i.e. if you are familiar with higher positions don’t play a piece that stays in first position). The selection has to be at least 3 minutes long.